Pinch punch the first day of the month AND in an august (haha) move we launch our first ever pod, Startup West – have a listen, share, enjoy, review & let us know what you think..!
Welcome to August and our brand spanking new ‘Startup West’ podcast.
In a wide ranging chat, Startup News’ Charlie Gunningham and Beth Caniglia ask Yuuwa capital’s Matt Marfarlane and Spacecubed’s Brodie McCulloch about their own backgrounds in Perth’s startup scene, what they think of the sector now, where it’s going, and what it needs now.
- What did Brodie do in the States before founding Spacecubed in 2012?
- When did Matt return to Perth and what startup failure did he endure?
- How did Spacecubed take off, and how big is FLUX now?
- What is the most important feature (worth 60%!) does Matt look for in an investment?
All these and more are answered, so please listen below on the embedded Soundcloud player or wherever you hear your podcasts.
Even better, SUBSCRIBE to the pod on your favourite platform, so you will never miss out. And please, please give us a REVIEW!
In our next episode we chat with the amazing Claire McGregor of Appbot.
Welcome to Startup West, the podcast about building great startups in sunny Western Australia with people who’ve been here and done it, or live here and are doing it!
In this first episode, Startup News‘ Charlie Gunningham and Beth Caniglia talk with Yuuwa Capital director Matt Macfarlane and Spacecubed’s Brodie McCulloch.
Matt is a well known West Australian early stage VC and angel investor, and Brodie set up the first coworking space, Spacecubed, in 2012 in Perth, which has since gone to open new, expanded coworking spaces FLUX and Riff as well as the Plus Eight muru-D tech accelerator.
What’s the state of the local startup scene in Perth and WA? Which startups do Matt and Brodie particularly admire, and what do they look for when they are deciding to invest? What does the sector need now? These and other questions are answered in the next 26 minutes…
- Spacecubed – www.spacecubed.com
- Yuuwa Capital – yuuwa.com.au
- 1.15 – Previous podcast with Charlie, Matt and Brodie – Businessnews-wa – Views-on-the-startup-scene
- 11.50 – //SN article on Matt speaking at eGroup – www.startupnews.com.au/2018/06/20/le…e-capitalist/
- 16.52 – Accelerating Commercialisation program – www.business.gov.au/assistance/entr…mmercialisation
- 17.45 – SpacetoCo – www.spacetoco.com
- 17.59 – VGW – www.vgw.co
- 19.58 – Credi – credi.com
- 22.27 – PowerLedger – powerledger.io
To help us out, please give us a healthy REVIEW, click SUBSCRIBE, and SHARE with your own networks. This is all part of our desire to promote the great startups here in WA, and get the word out. We hope you enjoy it!
If you are a startup founder or investor and have a story to tell, do please contact us, and we’ll see if we can get you on an upcoming episode.
‘Startup West’ podcast is brought to you by Startup News, Alyka, ECU The Link, BDO and ThinkLab Coworking.